BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday 24 August 2011

"My six month-old baby...was diagnosed with AIDS; I was then tested for HIV"

One of the all too often silent voices in HIV debates is that of the HIV+ woman. Positive Lite recently published an icnredibly moving. Denise Becker begins by sumamrising her story:

'IN 1994, I FOUND OUT THAT MY SIX MONTH-OLD BABY, KATIE, HAD PNEUMONIA AND SHE WAS SUBSEQUENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH AIDS; I WAS THEN TESTED FOR HIV. UNTIL I RECEIVED THE RESULT OF MY TEST, I HAD NO IDEA I WAS INFECTED WITH THE HIV VIRUS.'

As she details her story, she also addresses the subject of criminalising HIV, but she comes down against criminalisation concluding that 'criminalsiation leads to complacancy' and that we must 'look for a better answer'.

It's a must read article, and you can read it in full here.

Share this:

 
Copyright © 2014 Law and Sexuality. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates