BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday 23 May 2012

OUT4MARRIAGE

I always tend to be suspicious of 'pack mentality' initiatives, typically trendy projects that everybody piles in on and serve as nothing more than the most ephemeral worthy event, soothing the egos of celebrities and 'ordinary' members of the public alike.  Sometimes however, I've just got to get over my own cynical streak and get involved.

So it is with the Out4Marriage campaign, a campaign that Pink News is promoting with gusto.  Unsurprising, given that the project was conceived by PinkNews.co.uk founder Benjamin Cohen and Mike Buonaiuto, the director of the Coalition for Equal Marriage viral video.  Inspired by the 'It Gets Better' Campaign, the idea is that individuals record videos of themselves coming out for marriage, explaining why they are supporting a change in English law and always ending with the same phrase.

I've previously expressed my view that same-sex marriage is politically inevitable in English law and it remains my view.  However, there is a always the possibility that in an apparent silence from the pro same-sex marriage lobby, we might concede an open goal.  Moreover, the historical narrative will suggest that there was no great demand for same-sex marriage - that it was merely an example of political expediency by the Coalition government of 2010-2015.   This campaign suggests otherwise.

I'm also incredibly conscious that I'm uncomfortable with marriage and whilst some queer theorists reject the die oaf marriage full stop, I disagree with that strand of Queer Theorists, accepting instead a fluidity which allows a range of social and legal partnerships to emerge.  Anyway, the other week I had a go at making a video for the campaign.  The end result is below.  It's rather hideous but I tried.  I hope you'll think about recording one too.



Check out their website here.

Share this:

 
Copyright © 2014 Law and Sexuality. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates